Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Your Music, Where You Want It

I've had this idea for a while that I thought it would be fun to toss around. This idea came about for a couple reasons. Namely, I always want the CD I don't happen to have with me and if I do have the CD present, it's more than likely scratched in such a way that my favorite track won't play. I would also like to be able to find those CDs I bought 5 years ago, but alas after a number of residence changes, they too have passed on, as it is with all of the good and faithful CDs.

So here's how it works. First you upload your audio files to a server. Yes, bulk uploads will be available so that you can upload your whole 20 gig mp3 collection. Alternatively, for those of us with more reasonably sized collections, you could upload by CD or individual files. After you have your audio files uploaded you can download / email / listen to them at any time and from any location.

Additionally, you could organize your music into playlists. The playlists would allow you to pick and choose songs from any of the CDs that you have uploaded. You could create an unlimited number of playlists, which could then be classified as either protected or private. In order to listen to a private playlist you would be required to log into the server, while listening to a protected playlists would simply require a unique URL that only you would know.

If for some reason you lost or scratched a CD, or accidentally deleted your audio files, you could download the files again, or request that a CD be mailed to you.

To summarize, I want to be able to listen to all of my audio files as long as I have a computer and an internet connection. Additionally, I don't want to worry about losing my audio files. Anyways, just something I've been thinking about.

On the puzzles topic, I still haven't had a chance to get into the Eurostar quest. I've also been doing some research on the Treasure Hunters show from NBC, and I'm looking forward to Friday when the new puzzles start.

Get all of the MSN Conspiracy Game Answers here

2 Comments:

At 5/24/2006 8:21 PM, Blogger G00GLEFACT said...

Frist,
This is a slightly different business model. It is based upon data backup and retrieval which has already been held up in courts. That is consumers are entitled to back up digital data including CDs.

Additionaly, what if the user uploads all of his music onto the servers and proceeds to delete his local copy. Now he only has one copy, the copy that exists on the playlist server. Is he not entitled to do whatever he chooses with that copy of the file since it is his primary copy of the file?

 
At 5/26/2006 2:11 PM, Blogger Metro Mapper said...

There's an existing service that allows you to do this. The only thing is it has to be on a web server you own.

http://www.radioblogclub.com/

You basically put all your MP3s into a folder, it converts them to another format. Then you upload them along with some HTML and Flash code to your website. Then, you can listen to your own music from anywhere. On the site, you can even download existing songs converted by other users and use them on your site. The downsides are that they are not in MP3 format, and they are not categorized into folders or albums.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home